Thursday, September 1, 2011

First 48 hours in Korea

After more than 17 hours of travel, I finally made it to Korea about 5am yesterday.  I waited until 7am for the driver to show up.  After that, I waited another hour for a different driver because he was the only one who knew where I was supposed to go.  Then, I went straight to the Dangjin head office to wait for my co-teacher(s).  I met 2 teachers, one who was leaving, another who was replacing him.  They took me to my apartment, lunch, and school.  I wasn't prepared to meet the principle as I had just gotten off the plane and wasn't in my best form.  Nonetheless, there we went.  My teachers introduced me to various other teachers and office employees.  Each time, my co-teacher had to explain why I couldn't speak Korean.  They did not seem pleased.  So it goes.  Finally at the end of the day, my co-teacher, the replacement, took me to Lotte Market to buy some essentials: coffee marker, grinder (of sorts), and school slippers.  He seemed please at my fast shopping ability.  I explained that I actually hate shopping.  It had been a long day, so I unpacked, shower, looked at the lesson for the next day, and went to sleep.

In the morning, my principal picked me up and took me to my school.  My first school is about a 20 minute drive or 1 hour bus ride.  The first 4 periods are my 5th and 6th grade classes and the rest of the day is for lesson planning.  All I did today was observe the class.  The children were trying to speak to me in Korean and was disappointed that I couldn't reply.  Few are trying to teach me...and I thought I was the teacher!  After school, I met my co-teacher from my second school.  My first day there will be Wednesday.  This juggling two schools should be interesting.  On another note, I was asked whether I was married or single by teachers and students.  I know it's a common question and people are curious.  One thing I had trouble explaining was WHY (which my principal asked).  "Uh, I don't know.  I haven't met the right person yet."  Then he told me that maybe I will find someone in Korea.  I guess anything is possible.

My city, Dangjin: First, it is a lot bigger than what I imagined.  Because of Hyundai, the city has grown exponentially in the last ten years.  There are high rise apartments everywhere and the city limit is huge (hence the hour bus ride to my schools).  My apartment is near downtown Dangjin and close to the bus terminal.  Apparently, the downtown is not safe at night...they said something about the Chinese.  It is about an hour bus ride from Seoul and about 4 hours from Ulsan (Mysti).  Apparently, my apartment building has a lot of foreigners and I met three tonight.  I'm always up for meeting new people!

Until next time :-)

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that your area is considered unsafe. I am going to guess that it is unsafe by Korea standards which from what I can tell is still safe by Western standards. Good to heed the advice and keep your wits about you until you figure things out.

    ReplyDelete