Friday, June 29, 2012

I Want New Eyes-Part I

After a long absence from the blogging world, my first entry is about laser eye surgery.  Not particularly interesting, but I found other people's blog on the subject very helpful when I was looking into getting the surgery.  I hope my journey can also be helpful to someone else out there.

I have worn glasses since about the 2nd grade and contact lenses since I was sixteen.  Most people don't even know that I wear glasses because I never actually wear them out in public.  This is because I hate wearing glasses and I often get headaches.  My main concern for wearing contact lenses for a long time: possible diseases.  While things may be fine right now, it doesn't mean that it will stay fine forever.  

One definite advantage of living in Korea is that medical tourism is a huge business.  Many foreigners come and spend their hard earned money on various procedures.  Which means that the same procedure costs fraction of what it would cost back in the States.  

I don't like plastic surgery unless there is a medical need for it.  I think too many people risk their lives unnecessarily.  So, there may be those out there pointing out my hypocrisy about getting laser eye surgery.  They would have a valid argument: why would you take a risk with your eyes when there is no medical reason for it?  I am altering the natural state of my body and it is completely unnecessary.  So it calls to question, how different is laser eye surgery in comparison to other plastic surgeries.  One argument is that the laser eye surgery can greatly improve one's quality of life.  Then again, same thing may be said by others who indulge in a nose job or cheek implant.  How does one measure quality of life?  In order to justify the cost of the surgery and the procedure itself, I've come with my own list of reasons.

1)  Health:  Since I can't (or rather I find it painful to) wear glasses, wearing contact lenses for a long time is harmful to my eyes.  According to the Oregon Health and Science, people who wear contact lenses for more than 15 years have a greater chance of vision lost.  Yikes, I've been wearing lenses for 20 years!  If you leave your contact lenses on overnight (as I have often done), your chances for infection and potential vision lost (from diseases and infections) increases dramatically.
2)  Cost:  Korean laser eye surgery is extremely affordable compared to the States.  While people pay around $2,000 per eye in the States, it costs anywhere from 1.200.000 to 2.000.000 wons for both eyes.  In the long run, the surgery is a cheaper options than wearing contact lenses long term.  In fact, regular check ups, contact lenses, glasses, and contact solution can cost anywhere between $500-700 per year back in the States.  The surgery cost at MOST $1,800 for both eyes with the average price at $1,300.
3)  State of the Art Equipment and Experienced Surgeons:  Koreans have all the top of the line equipment and experienced surgeons, who perform multiple surgeries a day.  Most clinics boasts that their surgeons have performed over 10,000 surgeries each.  For some reason, I feel safer getting it done here rather than going to some clinic in the States, where their surgeons have only performed 500 surgeries.

Then, there are the different types of surgeries. Here is a VERY brief summary.  The popular Lasik has a short recovery time, about a day or two.  This is a popular choice because the patients have immediate vision improvement and they can generally return to work after a short period.  However, there are cases of post-operation complications such as long term blurry night vision and infections related to the flap, which is created during surgery.  Also, the surgeons recommend against this surgery for active athletes.  Yes, I know.  I do not participate in sports.  But the flap is also a problem for people in a car accident.  Again, I don't plan on being in an accident.  That's why they call it an accident.  I don't like the idea that there will be a permanent flap on my cornea.  Call me crazy.  Whatever, these are my eyes and I worry a LOT.  I know plenty of people in Korea, who had this procedure done and they have nothing but wonderful things to say.  I admit that I am probably being a little too cautious. 

The other procedure is Lasek.  This has a slightly longer recovery, anywhere between 4-5 days.  It takes longer to gain full vision, about 6 months.  There is more pain after the surgery than Lasik.  This is because the extremely thin epithelial layer is removed in order to laser the cornea.  However, it ( the epithelial layer) regenerates after surgery, which causes discomfort.  This procedure is similar to PRK, which lasers on top of the epithelial layer and it is removed during the lasering process.   Lasek was created to decrease the recover time of PRK and decease the post operation complication of Lasik.  

One thing I've learned during this research process is that knowing made me feel better.  I've read numerous articles that detailed the procedure, which included pictures.  I haven't gotten myself to watch the videos, but it may actually make me back out.  Whether you get the Lasek or Lasik, there are benefits and risks.  After all, it is surgery.  It isn't a decision that should be made lightly or on impulse.  After much consideration and research on Lasek and Lasik, I have made an appointment for a consult.  I would prefer to have Lasek, but the surgeon will make the final recommendation.  To be continued after the consult.

No comments:

Post a Comment