Tuesday, August 16, 2011

End of an Era: To My Dear Sister, Mysti!

This post is dedicated to my long time flat mate, best friend, and soul sister, Mysti!

It all began during the Stanley Cup Finals eleven years ago.  It was the 5th game: Dallas Stars versus New Jersey Devils.  As we watched the triple overtime game from an uncomfortable bar seat, I knew that Mysti and I would be friends for a long time.  At that time, I didn't know just how close we would become or that we would become roommates.  Now after ten years, one month, and 16 days of being flat mates, I have to say "Farewell" as she embarks on her new journey to South Korea.  I can turn this into a sentimental, sappy good-bye, but instead I want to reflect on some key moments over the past decade of friendship.  After all, it's really not good-bye forever (because I hope to be in Korea before too long).

It may surprise some people that a die-hard Dallas Stars fan would be friends with a die-hard Red Wings fan.  However, we came to an agreement a long time ago to be respectful of each other's team without resorting to violence or name calling.  Our friendship was also cemented by our deep DISLIKE for the Colorado Avalanche (yes, we are aware that we live in the Avs country).  While our bond of sisterhood may have started because of our love for hockey, it has grown into something much more...like our love for football, dislike of basketball, and ability to kick most guys asses in sport trivia.

After more than ten years, we have seen the best and worst of each other.  We have gone through relationship break-ups, unemployments, family deaths, Breast Cancer 3-Day, and many others.  We traveled to Europe and half way across the country.  We threw an amazing New Years Party, at which we jumped into the freezing ocean water.  Few weeks later, we threw another party (New Years "Re-Do") for all our friends who couldn't make it.   We started many traditions: midnight shows of Harry Potter, our usual pizza (pineapple, black olives, and jalapenos), Ren Faire, and New Years in different countries.  We encouraged each other as we re-entered the college life as thirty-somethings.  We even decided to teach English in South Korea (she just gets to go before me).  Sometimes we fought, other times we comforted each other as only true sisters could.  We have jokes no one else understands and can have full conversations in which others can't follow.

She is the Phoebe to my Rachel, Meredith to my Christina, and Oscar to my Felix.  Anyone brave enough to date either of us knows that he will always come second (or perhaps third after Kim).  Yes, the friendship like ours is rare and many people don't quite understand.  But it has worked for ten years because it's not about all the good times we shared, but also the trying and difficult ones.  As I reflect on the first decade of our relationship, I know that we will celebrate many more.  No matter where are are in the world, we will always be just a phone call or plane ride away.  Although it is an end of an era, it is just the beginning of our friendship! Have a safe travel, dear sister, and I will see you soon!

3 comments:

  1. Angie - this is so sweet! You're a good friend, Mysti is lucky to have you in her life, as I am sure from your kind, loving words of her - you are just as lucky to have her in yours! You will be on the same side of the world - hopefully again soon. :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my dear sister! ... and to Katie ~ I am truly honored and blessed that Angie is such an important part of my life's journey!

    ReplyDelete