Wednesday, August 10, 2011

World Wide Discrimination

I've lived my life sheltered from many of the horrible discrimination other Asian Americans faced.  This isn't to say that there wasn't any in my life.  It was mild and under-handed.  Most of the time, it wasn't worth my time to respond.  But in recent months, I've read stories of other Asian or Korean Americans who had faced many disgusting remarks and treatments.  Their stories at times seemed so far fetched and incredible.  Their stories made me realize just how far we are from overcoming racism.

This isn't a lecture on how people should treat each other with kindness or justify the anger people feel from the injustice of their circumstances.  The common thread of the stories seem to be about "white man's" superiority.  There is a divide between each individual races or ethnicity.  It's more simple to look at racism as "us versus them".  But the reality if much different.

As a half Korean and half Caucasian thirty-something female, I have recently learned that I am less desirable to teach English in an Asian country than a Caucasian man or woman.  This is despite the fact that I graduate with magna cum laude, completed an Honors Thesis, and studied 4 languages including Latin and Ancient Greek.  So for all those people who think that racism can only happen to minorities by "whites", I'm here to tell you that it happens by Asian for being Asian.  The only way to end racism is to acknowledge the many different form it takes.

2 comments:

  1. Angie,
    I just don't get it. But honestly, that's been my natural reaction to almost everything about education in the last 15 years. I hear.... you'll find your nitch.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete