Thursday, August 18, 2011

Finally back on track: My Impending Journey to Korea

A week after sending out a gazillion resumes to China, Japan, and Taiwan, I am finally back on track to go to South Korea.  I was really trying to convince myself that I would be happy teaching anywhere in Asia, but something kept pulling me back to Korea.  I still haven't been rejected, wait-listed, nor confirmed for EPIK.  I didn't know if or when I would be placed with them.  After a slight melt down and a calm re-evaluation of my situation, I decided (with the help of Mysti) that I would wait for Korea.

As I stated in my previous post, the problem is that I don't have another FBI Criminal Background Check (CBC) and it takes three months to get it.  So I went and got another set of fingerprints and expressed mailed another request to the FBI.  Although it seemed like a long shot, I contacted another recruiter to look at my options.  To my surprise, I was told that I could use a copy of my FBI CBC as long as I got it notarized and Apostille!  Also, we looked at the possibility of getting my documents back from EPIK and have them sent to the new provincial office where I was applying.

I just want to explain how fast everything happened because I've been dealing with my EPIK application since April!  This all started Tuesday, just two days ago!

  • I had an interview with the recruiting agency on Tuesday night and sent them a copy of my entire EPIK package.  
  • Several hours later, I received a message, which had my interview time with the Chungnam Education Office (the actual employer).  I found out in the morning that Chungnam office had contacted EPIK to get my documents.  This prompted an immediate email from my first recruiter asking for an explanation.
  • I had a slight panic attack because I didn't want both places to reject my application for using two recruiters.  Then Mysti calmed me down.  I had already explained my situation to my new recruiter and he was fine with it.
  • Last night (Wednesday), I had a 20 minute interview and I explained the EPIK situation again.  She didn't have a problem with it (PHEW!).  Another 20 minutes later, I was offered the job.  
  • My new recruiter is sending my Contract and Notice of Appointment tonight (tomorrow morning in Korea)!
  • After the interview, I emailed my first recruiter to withdraw my EPIK application and get the contact information for the EPIK coordinator in charge of my file.
  • I received the contact information (to my surprise).  I am grateful to them because they didn't have to help me after I withdrew my application.
  • I emailed EPIK and asked for my documents to be sent to the Chungnam Education Office.  Now, I wait.
  • I emailed my references for another original letter of recommendation and received confirmation from both.  Thank you, Gary Vogt and Dr. Peter Hunt.  You two are lifesavers!!!
  • I just got the copy of my FBI CBC notarized!  And now I need to get it Apostille.
My big fear is that something else will go wrong and I will have to start this process all over again.  But if all goes well, I should be boarding a plane for Seoul in about a week (depending on how long it takes for me to get my visa).

Oh right, can't forget about my life lesson!  This is what I've learned (or re-learned) in the last couple of days.  Life doesn't happen the way you plan. But if you want something bad enough, never settle for anything less.  Eventually, it will all work out.  I may still run into road blocks ahead and I may not make it to Korea in the next couple of weeks.  Even if that happens, I will be patient and flexible.  I will eventually make it to Korea!

1 comment:

  1. Just remember that those roadblocks are there to make sure it is something we really want and to keep those posers out. For some reason yours and mine brickwalls seem to be larger than others, but then again that could just be our own persecptions.

    ReplyDelete