Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Now what???

When I started my new journey to teach English in South Korea, I didn't realize that I would be jobless with 8 days until orientation.  For those who have not heard about my process, let me give you the CliffNotes version.

I started the South Korean English program research back in December when teaching seemed like a better alternative to graduate school.  My Honors Thesis wasn't going well and I had bombed my GRE in August.  Needless to say, my confidence in my post undergraduate academic ability was shaken.  I decided that I would teach English to regain not only my confidence, but also my deep love of academia.

  • Mid February:  I started my EPIK (English Program in Korea) process by getting fingerprints for the FBI Criminal Background Check.

  • Feb-March: Requested and received Letter of Recommendations

  • March 25: Started my EPIK application

  • March 31: Submitted EPIK application

  • April 11: EPIK Skype Interview

  • April 13: EPIK interview passed

  • April 15: Sent FedEx of all documents except FBI Criminal Background Check

  • May 25: Sold my car

  • May 27: Sent FedEx of FBI CBC

  • June 27: Passed my TEFL Course

  • July 13: Emailed TEFL Certificate and diploma

  • July 19: Obtained Apostille for diploma and emailed to recruiter

  • July 27: Declined/Rejected from Seoul and emailed recruiter new preference choices.

  • August 10: No News!


I have been checking my email and clicking "Send/Receive" button so often I'm afraid I may break it.  I check my Facebook groups for any shred of information that I'm afraid I may break that as well.  I keep hearing that EPIK is understaffed and overworked.  But I wonder if they truly understand someone in my position.  In the last 5 days, I've sent off over 20 responses to teaching jobs in Taiwan.  But the best way to get a job in Taiwan is to fly there and look for a job.  Scary!

After 7 months of preparation and countless amounts of money in documents and FedEx/USPS fees, I am NOWHERE! What I wasn't prepared for was a rejection.  I still haven't been rejected nor wait-listed.  I graduated with 3.7 GPA and successfully completed an Honors Thesis.  I even have a TEFL certificate.  So what did I do wrong???  Now the problem is that I didn't request another FBI  CBC, which is a requirement for ANY/ALL jobs in Korea.  Did I mention it took 9 weeks to get my FBI CBC (and that was quick)!  My only option is somehow manage to get an F-4 (Heritage Visa-whole other world of problems await) or fly to Taiwan in hopes of finding a job.

So now what?!?! Where do I go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment