Monday, August 15, 2011

Why I travel...

My friends and I started a new tradition several years ago, which is to spend each New Years in a different country.  Although we took a 2 year hiatus, we are back on track this year - - -South Korea.  As we plan our 6th trip abroad, I remember back to MY first trip, not OUR first trip.  I want to clarify this because a part of the tradition (unintentionally) is that someone from the four of us misses a trip while we add a new member.  We always welcome new traveling buddies!

I think first trip abroad is the most memorable because it is the FIRST trip.  There are a lot of fun stories from each trip, but France was definitely memorable.  But what I remember most was what others were saying about the French before I left.  They warned me that French people were rude and I wouldn't have fun.  WOW, what a gross generalization of an entire population!!!  I tried not to let them influence my fabulous vacation though.  And good thing I didn't.

It has been my experience that French people are one of the nicest people I've ever met while traveling.  I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone who may have had a different experience.  I found the French to be incredibly kind and friendly.  I've asked, parlez-vous anglais?, more times than I can count.  To which I received a friendly smile and "yes, I speak English."  The most obnoxious group of people we encountered were two couples from Philly as they practically screamed, "Hi, do you speak English?" Ok, people, they're not deaf.  And the most basic traveling etiquette is to learn at least "Hello" in their language.  I've never taken French and I pronounce most of the French words as if I'm pronouncing a Spanish word.  But I still manage to remember a few key phrases.  We are guests in their country and  we need to be respectful.

My favorite memory is when an older Parisian gentleman tried to help us because he thought we were lost.  We weren't really lost, but it made our day!  Another, when I asked for a cafe au lait, and the waiter jokingly asked (in French) if I wanted that with Cognac.  Ah, no, too early.  I also had a conversation with a Frenchman in Spanish while he spoke to me in Italian, since neither of us spoke each others language.  We got the gist of what we were saying.  If I had gone to France with the preconceived notion that French people were rude, I may have treated them differently.  I'm really glad I didn't.

I think everyone has a different experience traveling abroad, sometimes it's great and other times it's miserable.  Not all our experiences were great or happy.  That would be impossible.  But 4 years and 6 countries later, I'm still infected by the "travel bug".  I get excited just thinking about the wonderful locals and all the things I will learn from them.  Because for me, traveling is about getting to know the people and their culture.  The things I remember the most are the interactions and the conversations I've had with the locals and fellow travelers.  This is why I travel.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! You're comments about the French are very true. I found them to be warm, gracious and extraordinarily friendly. The only time I was put off was when I heard loud obnoxious American tourists near Notre Dame Cathedral at a cafe sitting adjacent to me. The were rude and awfully loud. They were so arrogant. Frankly, I was embarrassed as an American. Their boorish behavior disrupted the serenity and violated my right to quiet enjoyment of one of the loveliest settings in Paris. I believe their group was from Pittsburgh. They should seriously give out inflight guides on -How not to appear like an idiot in a foreign country.

    My other favorite cities were London, Luxembourg (people were so nice!) Hong Kong, Sydney and Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, I wish there was a "Like" button for your comment! I love London, but haven't been to the other places you've mentioned. Someday I'll make it over to those places.

    ReplyDelete