Thursday, August 11, 2011

Light at the end of the tunnel

We've all experience many frustrations in life.  It takes a form of a poor service at a restaurant, waiting on the phone for the next available agent, driving in Colorado (people, learn how to merge!), dealing with stupid people and their stupid questions (yes, there is such a thing), waiting to hear about a job, or unreasonable family members and their demands.  Sometimes our frustrations are short-lived and other times...not so short-lived.  As human beings, we let these outside forces dictate our inner selves.

But at the end of the day (figurative), does it matter?  We get up after a meal and don't linger too long on the bad service we just received.  We all know how to tip or not tip.  If you do, well...I don't know what to tell you.  The next available agent will eventually get on the phone.  There will always be stupid and unreasonable people.  It's easier to avoid them.  A job will eventually appear.  I too have been unemployed and feel your pain.

I guess my point is this: When we are going through these experiences, it always seems as if we are caught in a really bad soap opera.  Then you look back a few days, weeks, months or years later to realize that it wasn't worth getting upset...or at least not to the point we did.  I will be the first person to admit that this outlook doesn't always work.  I am over-dramatic!  Yes, the world is collapsing and I am falling into the abyss!  And you cannot convince me otherwise.  Being human, I feel the full force of my emotions.  But eventually, I get over it.  I have to constantly remind myself that everyone must deal with unpleasant situations and people.  That's called living.  Times like these, I like to channel my favorite Greek Philosopher, Epictetus.  I'm paraphrasing here, but he says that it is useless to constantly think about the externals because it is completely outside of our control.

Next time you feel like punching somebody in his "junk", remember, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Everything will eventually work itself out.  Just make sure you have good friends and family members who will be there to remind you: you are fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment